Friday, April 10, 2009

"life sucks, again"

I walked upstream
And I sat in the mud
Life sucks again
Watching trees decompose
And they talk to me
And they smiled at me

-Galaxie 500

...memories of happier times:

1. in high school, during one Good Friday we had off, my best friend & i were going to go to Goodwill and our favorite coffee shop. but instead of both riding our bikes like we usually did, i rode my bike & he rode his rollerblades alongside me. it was a disaster. he was skating across this big busy highway, and i was trying to maintain his slower speed, and we were falling and tripping all over each other. it was kind of scary and really hysterical.

2. it was one of the first warm weekends in the Spring of my second year of college and one of my best friends was having her birthday party at the radio station. we spent the night drinking wine and playing songs on the radio. also, i had a crush on this old guy who had an office near the station and i wrote a note telling his as much to stick under his door. my roommate & i rode our bikes, drunk, back home, which we quickly realized was very, very difficult.

3. last year at this time, i was finishing my Senior Project, staying up all hours of the night like a crazy person to work on it. one Friday night, i'd stayed in to write, and ended up not getting into bed until about 6 am. i had to wake up only 1 or 2 hours later to babysit. despite my only half-alive state, i remember feeling so blissful, sitting out in the kids' big back yard, it was warm, they were running around like mad and i was just sitting there, unable to move, but very happy.

4. in the Spring of my 10th grade year of high school, i heard Galaxie 500's Today for the first time & it changed my life, then and there. exactly 6 years later, as a Senior in college, i read Dean Wareham's memoir which chronicled in detail the history of Galaxie 500, & he changed my life again.


HAPPPEE, SEE:















2 comments:

Emily B. said...

i believe we were singing flock of seagulls messages while drunk biking. i wuv you, i'll find a way to come cheer you up soon. after we commiserate about being directionless, of course. you're not alone on that one.

Hanni said...

i'm directionless toooooooo! maybe we should all go on a road trip someday soon! i think we need a summer reuniting...